Omaha, Neb. (March 17, 2023) – USA TODAY 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards has selected Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium as the Best Zoo, Asian Highlands as the Best Zoo Exhibit, and Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park as the Best Safari Park. This is the first number one ranking by 10Best for Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, which was named the second Best Zoo last year; Asian Highlands has won four years in a row and the Wildlife Safari Park has won each of the past three years.
“We are beyond proud that Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium has reached the number one position in the 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards,” said Dr. Luis Padilla, DVM, Dipl. ACZM, President and CEO. “We launched a grassroots effort asking our Zoo community to show their pride by voting. We are overwhelmed by the response and accolades.” Dr. Padilla continued, “Thank you for making us the #1 Zoo, #1 Zoo Exhibit AND #1 Safari Park! We especially want to thank our hard-working Zoo staff and community. We are number 1 with – and because - of all of you!”
To thank the community, Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium has planned a celebration week beginning tomorrow, March 18, through Saturday, March 24.
- Saturday, March 18 – 1 Free Zoo Tote Bag at Main Admissions Gate (while supplies last).
- Sunday, March 19 – Facebook and Instagram Giveaways to Win 10 Tickets to Jurassic Adventure Preview Night at Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park (one winner per platform).
- Monday, March 20 – 1 Free Small Popcorn. Coupon received at Main Admissions Gate (while supplies last).
- Tuesday, March 21 – All Children Under the Age of 12 Receive Free Zoo Admission.
- Wednesday, March 22 – $1 Admission to Stingray Beach.
- Thursday, March 23 – 10% Off Purchases at Zoo and Aquarium Gift Shops (no other discounts apply).
- Friday, March 24 – Asian Highlands Training Demonstrations and Special Enrichment at 10:30 and 11 a.m., 12, 1, and 2 p.m. (weather permitting). See Zoo social media for detailed schedule.
- Saturday, March 25 – Opening Day at Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park (weather permitting). All Children Under the Age of 12 Receive Free WSP Admission.
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is currently open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Exhibit buildings close at 5 p.m. Hours change to 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 1. Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park is scheduled to open on Saturday, March 25, for its first day of the season. Park hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Consistently ranked as one of the world’s top zoos, Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is an independent not-for-profit organization accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). The Zoo is recognized nationally for its conservation, animal care and exhibit design. As a leader in conservation, the Zoo’s Center for Conservation and Research focuses on areas to benefit animal husbandry and species conservation including conservation genetics, conservation medicine, reproductive sciences, and comparative nutrition. More information is available at www.OmahaZoo.com.
Named the “Best Safari Park” in the country for 2022 by USA TODAY 10 Best Readers’ Choice Travel Awards, Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park offers four miles of drive-through North American wildlife viewing from the comfort of your own vehicle. Visitors will see a variety of animals in their natural habitats, including more than 60 American elk spread across the 50-acre Elk Meadow, White-tailed deer, Prairie dogs, Grey wolves, American black bears, Pygmy goats and Bison, the largest terrestrial and heaviest land animals in North America. By visiting the Wildlife Safari Park, visitors not only support its on-site conservation efforts such as the Cheetah and Tiger Breeding Centers, but also efforts around the world. More information is available at WildlifeSafariPark.com.